Dave Le Grys

Dave Le Grys
Legro’s’ Training Camp 2009 April 6-20th

www.powerbuilduk.com

Sunday 21 September 2008

South West Cicruit Race Champion





The 20th September saw the largest gathering of Elite riders in the South West for the South West Circuit Race Championships. The event was held at Merryfield Airstation a large airfield ideal for circuit racing.

Circuit races are usually held at race tracks or airfields and are generally flat and fast. They are often technical and require an ability to accelerate and decelerate very quickly and repeatedly whilst watching every move.

The race was longer than most circuit races at a time of 90 mins + 1 lap. I used this to my advantage and felt that an early attack would probably succeed as other riders may feel it would be too early to go. As soon as the flag was dropped from the lead car I drifted over to the right side of the track and gently accelerated rather than a full attack. I felt that a gentle roll away would be more successful. This first roll away failed but a few seconds later I repeated the move and this time it stuck with A Somerset RC rider following my wheel.

This move stayed away for about 30 mins with only a 15 second gap until James Williams ES Torigini and Greg Sandy SRC made a move from the bunch and bridged the gap. This was then followed by John Wyn Achva Limoux.

This then became the winning move of the race and this group managed to stay away from the ever chasing bunch right until the last lap. It was at this time that I felt extremely tired. I knew that if I left it to a bunch sprint that I would lose against Williams and Sandy.

These two were still taking turns in the move halfway round the last lap so were happy to wait for the bunch sprint. I missed a turn and gathered myself. This time I did attack with force and built a small gap. I then waited to see if there was a chase but as I thought Williams and Sandy looked at each other whilst Wynn was unable or unwilling to do anything.

As I approached the last corner I then saw that Sandy was now chasing on his own and quickly chasing me down. It was however too little and too late. I was quite a way out as I began celebrating.

I was awarded a BCF medal and a Jersey to wear for one year.



photos courtesy of Ann Owens

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome ride James, Not many riders can win on the road and in a time trial.

Well done mate

Matt W

Anonymous said...

Good ride JJ!

Anonymous said...

You will ride for the RN over my dead body.

JAMES SMITH said...

Um I think you have issues!!

Anon1 said...

I didn't realise that suicide bombers where now targeting cyclist's? I think you should get a new RN membership immediately and cross your fingers that muppet does himself in!!

JAMES SMITH said...

Why would the fact that I ride in RN colours bother someone so much

Anonymous said...

Well done JJ, Great ride

Anonymous said...

cos u r such a good team player

Anonymous said...

Yes I am a good team player.

Thanks

JJ